"Bavarian Pale Bock"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My husband has now had a few of my homebrews, and he's hooked. His favorite beer in the world is Capital Brewery's Mai Bock, and now he's emailing me all kind of recipes. He sent me this one:

Bavarian Pale Bock

Malt
9.5 lb Coopers Pale Malt Extract
8 ounces Carapils Malt
2 ounces Crystal 120L Malt
2 ounces Caramunich Malt
>Hops
1.5 ounces Mt.Hood Hops (60 min)
0.5 ounces Mt.Hood hops (Finishing-last 5 minutes of boil)
>Yeast
WLP920-Old Bavarian Lager Yeast

I'm guessing this would be a lager, right? I think I'd like to try lagering in the fall/winter when my basement is cold. How low of a temp. do I need to maintain to make a lager? Is there a chance that this recipe would be like a blonde bock, or mai bock?

Thanks!
Lorena

lorenae said:
My husband has now had a few of my homebrews, and he's hooked. His favorite beer in the world is Capital Brewery's Mai Bock, and now he's emailing me all kind of recipes. He sent me this one:

Bavarian Pale Bock

Malt
9.5 lb Coopers Pale Malt Extract
8 ounces Carapils Malt
2 ounces Crystal 120L Malt
2 ounces Caramunich Malt
>Hops
1.5 ounces Mt.Hood Hops (60 min)
0.5 ounces Mt.Hood hops (Finishing-last 5 minutes of boil)
>Yeast
WLP920-Old Bavarian Lager Yeast

I'm guessing this would be a lager, right? I think I'd like to try lagering in the fall/winter when my basement is cold. How low of a temp. do I need to maintain to make a lager? Is there a chance that this recipe would be like a blonde bock, or mai bock?

Thanks!
Lorena

It looks like a Mai Bock to me.
What temperature can you maintain? If you can get to the mid 50s use the 920 (good yeast). If you can only get down to the low-mid 60s 810 would be a good choice. If you are stuck in the high 60s to low 70s use a clean ale yeast (001).

Sorta along the same lines...
My basement is around 68*, and I've read about placing the carboy in a tub of water along with a frozen gallon milk jug filled with water. How much would you expect the temp to drop (from ambient temps) with this setup? Enough for a good lager temp or would you probably need a fridge? Thanks.
Marc.

Latest posts

Back