yeast addition in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdtwnj

Reaction score
Has anyone tried adding fresh yeast along with the priming sugar at the time of bottling? I have a batch that seems to have stopped fermenting but has a higher SG than I'd like. I heard that a fresh yeast addition at bottling would address this while also carbonating the bottles. Any advice is appreciated!

Im not very experienced but I would expect a bottle bomb. Why not add yeast to carboy before bottling? How long was ferment time?

If you think fresh yeast will further attenuate the beer you better do that before it gets in the bottle or your bottles are going to explode from excess carbonation.

You don't want to do that. You really need to make sure that the beer is complete BEFORE you bottle it. Or else you'll get bottle bombs.

If you want to add more yeast to lower the grav of the beer, DO IT BEFORE you're planning to bottle, and give it a couple weeks.

Back