My yeast I ordered came to me warm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loodachris

12th man loud and proud!
Reaction score
I had to order some Wyeast since my lhbs does not carry it. The package was shipped on Friday and it just got to me today but the ice pack is melted and the yeast bag is warm. Wondering if It's still ok to use or not. How long can yeast stay out of the fridge and still be ok?

It should be fine. When the weather isn't too hot, I don't even have my yeast packed in ice. The great thing about wyeast is that you can just smack the pack and if it swells, you know it's viable. Make a starter and you'll be fine.

This is my first time using the Wyeast so good point about the bag. Temp outside is right about 80 degrees and who knows how long the box was on my doorstep.

It is fine. I usually use Austin Homebrew (which I love) and it takes about 5-7 days for the order to arrive to me up in NY. The ice packs are long since melted by that time, so it has a few days at least without any "cooling". For that reason, I hardly ever include ice packs anymore with my online orders. Since I stopped including ice packs over a year ago, I've never had a non-usable Wyeast or White Labs yeast order. Definitely make a starter, as you should with almost all your liquid yeast batches, but I wouldn't worry about your current situation.

Latest posts

Back