Capping a Champagne Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsongg

Reaction score
I wanted to bottle in champagne bottles and got about a hundred for free off of craigslist. Cleaned them up and not knowing what size the mouth was, I tried capping one. No go with the regular size caps. So I go out and get the larger caps and a new bell housing for the red baron capper. I flip the crimper wings (or whatever they are called) around for the larger cap and put on the new bell housing. Try another and it goes on fine but when I check it for tightness and I can twist it around. So, thinking I need more crimp I flip the wings back to the setting for the normal size bottle. Works better but not consistantly.

So, is it my bottles? Is it the capper? Are champagne bottles usually capped with a bench capper? Or, is it all me?

By the way, the bottles are I believe from Cook's Extra Dry champagne.

Thanks,
Greg

You need to go to a wine or champagne corker and plastic or cork champagne corks. Midwest and Northern Brewer both have them.

Back