9oz co2 tank on portable keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRYLOK

Reaction score
Is a 9oz co2 tank too small for a 5gal keg. I'm going to build a portable keg cooler and I have a 9oz tank. What do you think?

Prost!

I force-carbed and pushed a whole corny with 16oz CO2 in a 22oz bottle and had an ounce or two of CO2 left over. I'll be getting some 9oz bottles soon. I may have been on the low-end of CO2 volume - 5# @ 33F

not for force carbing. Just so i can take the keg to the lake or beach without having to bring a 5lb co2 tank.

I serve multiple 5 gallon kegs using a single 20oz paintball CO2 tank. I don't think you'd have a problem with one on a 9oz personally.

I serve multiple 5 gallon kegs using a single 20oz paintball CO2 tank. I don't think you'd have a problem with one on a 9oz personally.

Agreed! When I am force carbing I can usually get through 2-3 kegs. If only serving, it is more like 4-5.

I usually go through a couple of 16oz cartridges of CO2 per 5 gallon keg.

Are you sure you dont mean 16 gram?

5# will allow me to carb to 3 volumes, and serve, 8 kegs (3 to carb, 1 to serve = 4 volumes used per keg)
that is 4x8=32 volumes for 5#
32/5= 6.4 volumes per pound of CO2
1# CO2 = 16oz

so 9oz should be equal to about 3.5 volumes, which means you should be able to push about 17.5gal of carbonated beer from a single 9oz tank

5# will allow me to carb to 3 volumes, and serve, 8 kegs (3 to carb, 1 to serve = 4 volumes used per keg)
that is 4x8=32 volumes for 5#
32/5= 6.4 volumes per pound of CO2
1# CO2 = 16oz

so 9oz should be equal to about 3.5 volumes, which means you should be able to push about 17.5gal of carbonated beer from a single 9oz tank

Cool thanks

Latest posts

Back