Bayour SQ14 Burner Blows Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlenose

Reaction score
I've been using a small Bayou Classic SP10 burner for a while, but recently switched to keggles to up my batch size. If you haven't tried it, balancing a keggle on the SP10 is a bit dicey, so I picked up the larger SQ14. Tried using for the first time, and in a moderately breezy day found it blowing out every 3 or so minutes on average. Brought the SP10 back out and finished the boil with no problems.

Before playing around with switching the burners, improvising a larger heat shield, etc., I figured I'd ask if anyone else had this happen and how they fixed it.

I put one of these collars from HD around the burner. It helped a lot. Before that I just used a few pieces of sheetmetal leaned against the legs. It didn't work nearly as good as the collar.
63d8d059-ba3b-45c6-b689-bdd2de2f37e9_300.jpg

NCGrayson said:
and what is that collar made for exactly? (where would i find that in HD?)

That is a tab collar for connecting flexible duct to duct board in home a/c systems. They would be found on the aisle with duct work, venting material and registers (grills/vents).

I have the SQ14 and have brewed on some really windy days outside. I have never experienced my flame even come close to blowing out. Maybe you should be cranking the gas up a bit more? Mine is quite powerful.

Back