B.B. Kolsch (questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBeerDrinker

Reaction score
so i brewed up a batch of Brewer's Best Kolsch last night, using WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast...

i've been doing a bit of reading and read that a Kolsch should be fermented at a lower temp... between 55-65. i currently have it @ 68. my questions are: would fermenting at such a lower temp kill the ale yeast? or will it be ok, and just slow down the process? is it going to affect the taste keeping it @ 68?

:drunk:
thanks in advance!

60 is great for this beer, 55 even better. a temp that low shouldn't kill the yeast, just slow down fermentation. it should also prevent the yeast from producing fruity compounds which will be produced at higher temps like 68

That yeast isn't going to die at 68F. If anything, you'll speed up fermentation, not slow it down. However, you'll also pick up more esters as a result of the higher temp. I've had some estery commercial examples of Kolsch so it wouldn't be completely out of line but not what the style is shooting for. If fermentation has already started, you might as well leave it like it is.

right on... thanks for the info!

as of this morning when i left for work, there was no activity... i will see about lowering the temp.

i'm going to rack to a secondary in about 5 or 6 days... i'm hoping this turns out great!

Back