Mashing & Sparging with Hopped Wort. Experience? Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegitBrew

Reaction score
I've been tinkering with brewing a clone of Green Flash Palate Wrecker-- an amazing double IPA from the San Diego brewery (pretty much all of their beer i have had ended up being great). Seems no one has put forth a concerned effort to clone it respectfully. Their website mentions that they mash and sparge the brew with hopped wort. The end result is a 9.5% super dank IIPA with 100+IBUs and a fantastic balance of grain and super oniony/garlic hop taste and aroma. I sent an email to the brewery asking advice, but have yet to hear back. I believe the hop taste and aroma might have been achieved with either columbus, summit, or a combination of both. Never experimented with mashing or sparging with hopped water, let alone hopped wort. Anyone ever tried this? Was thinking of brewing a starter-esque wort from light DME with a low gravity (1.02-1.03) as a base for a couple ounces of hops each (2 oz for mash, 2 oz for sparge) for a 10 gallon batch. Any thoughts or advice welcome!

I've not mashed with hopped wort before, but I have mashed with hops tossed in with the grains and it does add a very pleasant flavor and aroma, especially in IPAs. I just brewed an IIPA (100 IBUs) with 1oz of hops in the mash and the result is a very smooth, very hoppy IIPA without the unpleasant astringency of some overly bittered IPAs I've had.

Good stuff. I've been considering using hopped strike /sparge water, but not wort. If I recall, that beer has a huge mouthfeel. Maybe mash high, lots of gypsum, maybe some Chinook also.

Back