Low Alc Lolly Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
I've been given a recipe for a cider that goes like this
1.5kg tart apples
5.7L water
1kg sugar
Juice & rind of one lemon

Freeze the apples for 3 days then defrost & puree. Pour into a clean bucket & pour over water. Cover with a clean tea-towel. Stir twice a day for 7 days.
Strain through 'cheesecloth' & discard pulp. pour juice back into the bucket & add sugar & lemon. Leave 24 hours, strain again & bottle.

My gut feeling is that this will be low Alc, lolly water. Would that be a fair assumption?

Seems like it to me.

If you go listen to the "Cider Again" episode of the Jamil show, the guest gives some really good advice on cider making. He never mentioned using apple puree. You would be better off sourcing quality juice from cider apples or the "house" blend from an apple farm.

I know there is some luck using wild yeast to ferment cider, but it comes down to luck unless you are using a cultured strain, or a strain you captured.

In the cider episode, the guest mentions that since cider is a rarity in the US, home cider makers tend to become partial to their brew. Even if it tastes funny. This recipe seems like a "bathtub gin" method at best.

Back