How much yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Im going to make my first 5 gallon batch of Mead here shortly...Should I use one or two packets of yeast? I plan on using K-V1116 yeast. I thought about trying JAOM as a first big batch. Advice? Ideas?

One packet should be enough for five gallons of a normal gravity must, but it won't hurt anything to throw an extra packet in (and may help your peace of mind).

I recently learned from reading The Compleat Meadmaker that yeast replicates/reproduces at a phenomenal rate once you use it. So, that 2-1/4 teaspoons really ends up being FAR more than that. Which would explain the huge pile of yeast carcasses on the bottom of the jug.

So, one packet should be fine.

Im going to make my first 5 gallon batch of Mead here shortly...Should I use one or two packets of yeast? I plan on using K-V1116 yeast. I thought about trying JAOM as a first big batch. Advice? Ideas?

I see alot of experienced mead makers using 2 packets (10g total) of yeast in a normal 5 gal batch and 2 packets if the OG is excessive. This is what I have been doing recently. I think 5g of yeast is under pitching but ofcourse it will ferment, however adding additional yeast should help the ferment finish faster with less stress.

Consider yeast pitching rates for beer. The better dry beer yeast packets are 11g of yeast. This is pitched in wort that is usually 1.060 or less. Mead is a similar volume of 1.100 or better. 5g of yeast seem pretty lite by comparison.

Craig

I see alot of experienced mead makers using 2 packets (10g total) of yeast in a normal 5 gal batch and 2 packets if the OG is excessive. This is what I have been doing recently. I think 5g of yeast is under pitching but ofcourse it will ferment, however adding additional yeast should help the ferment finish faster with less stress.

Consider yeast pitching rates for beer. The better dry beer yeast packets are 11g of yeast. This is pitched in wort that is usually 1.060 or less. Mead is a similar volume of 1.100 or better. 5g of yeast seem pretty lite by comparison.

Craig

Thanks CBBaron!, I went ahead and pitched two packets of K-V1116 yeast into my Orange, Cinnamon Mead. Now we wait......

:mug:

Are you pitching the yeast straight in or making a starter first? Using a starter will way more than double yeast you're starting out with,a nd can help ease the acclimitaztion (ok, not even closed to spelled right, but you konw what I mean) to the must.

Are you pitching the yeast straight in or making a starter first? Using a starter will way more than double yeast you're starting out with,a nd can help ease the acclimitaztion (ok, not even closed to spelled right, but you konw what I mean) to the must.

I actually made starters from both packets...I pitched the second an hour after the first.

I actually made starters from both packets...I pitched the second an hour after the first.

Do you mean you just re-hydrated the yeast or actually made a starter for 2 days before pitching?
Either way, two packets will provide a strong population to ferment the must.
If you make up a healthy starter two days before from one packet you will be fine also.
If you just pitch one packet, depending on the age, etc you may have a stressed out yeast fermentation. Still OK for me, my taste buds are not that refined to notice a difference. But if we are talking about best practices here, a starter ensures healthy yeast, and the smell will warn you of any infection after two days.
Best of luck.

Well, ok...

I thought rehydrating WAS making a starter?...Im obviously missing a technique here..please explain the process of makiing a starter 2 days in advance...its all new to me!

Making a starter is simply adding yeast to a well airated must/wort that is in a small sanitized container, this allows the yeast to take off, reproduce, etc. After two to three days you have a very healthy starter that can be pitched into the must.
There a ton of threads here that cover it, along with yeast washing etc.
In either case, don't worry about it. You pitched a good yeast population that will do the job. The rest is "good practices" but not required.

Thanks!
Hey that is a super good tip Ill remember for the next time I do a 5 gal batch. It was very much appreciated!

:tank:

Starters can be particularly useful for musts that aren't really yeast friendly. Using starter, you can either half the harshness (ie, if using 3 pounds of honey per gallon can use one in starter), or can use something completely different, like grape juice, which is really beneficial for the yeast. Eithe rway, you're trying to give the yeast a start first, to let it start reproduciing, and to let it get ready for the must.

Of course, just as a disclaimer, I've only just started my first batch of mead about 4 days ago. :) But have made 40-50 batches of wine from ingredients ranging from grapefruit (great white) to zucchini and pumpkin (well, they made decent cooking wine anyway. :) ), and another 4-5 batches of beer.

Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Starters can be particularly useful for musts that aren't really yeast friendly. Using starter, you can either half the harshness (ie, if using 3 pounds of honey per gallon can use one in starter), or can use something completely different, like grape juice, which is really beneficial for the yeast. Eithe rway, you're trying to give the yeast a start first, to let it start reproduciing, and to let it get ready for the must.

Of course, just as a disclaimer, I've only just started my first batch of mead about 4 days ago. :) But have made 40-50 batches of wine from ingredients ranging from grapefruit (great white) to zucchini and pumpkin (well, they made decent cooking wine anyway. :) ), and another 4-5 batches of beer.

Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hey Now.....the Holiday Inn Express is where all the most savvy of the Brewmeister's haunt man!

:rockin:

Back