Airlock converted to blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I prefer to use airlocks, but if I have a beer that I know will blow the top off of my airlock, can I convert the airlock to a blowoff tube? My thought is (using the three piece blowoff tube style) to just run tubing out of the airlock hole and not put the top on. Thoughts?

thats what i do. I can measure the tube size later if you'd like

Yep, that is what I do for a blow off. The only bad part I've found is the tube pretty much once on, stays on. I haven't been able to get it off w/o breaking the plastic. Air locks are cheap though so I just keep them with the tube on.

I put a 1-1/4" vinyl tube directly into the Carboy and stick the other end in a bucket of water. I rarely ferment a batch that doesn't blow the top so I don't even bother with the airlock anymore since my first batch clogged the airlock. It's a simple way to keep the system closed and still allow for blow off. Plus clean up is pretty easy.

The only bad part I've found is the tube pretty much once on, stays on. I haven't been able to get it off w/o breaking the plastic. Air locks are cheap though so I just keep them with the tube on.

Tip of the day: To get the stuck tube off the airlock, warm the tube with water and push it further onto the airlock. It will then come right off. :mug:

I put a 1-1/4" vinyl tube directly into the Carboy and stick the other end in a bucket of water. I rarely ferment a batch that doesn't blow the top so I don't even bother with the airlock anymore since my first batch clogged the airlock. It's a simple way to keep the system closed and still allow for blow off. Plus clean up is pretty easy.
is it 1-1/4", or just 1"? i also use a tube that fits right into the carboy opening, no half airlock required. i ask only because i don't remember the exact size anymore...

check out the last pic in this post for a visual: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/my-sunday-led-299633/#post3723673 (scroll further down for image of smaller tube + half airlock combo).

I find that the orange cap with the two nipples works pretty good. You can use the same size tubing as you do for the siphoning hose and if it gets to be too vigorous even for that, it'll blow through the second cap. It's not as free-flow as the 1" tubing, but it works for me and I only use one size of tubing for all my applications.

Back