The Burp and Sputter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibfried

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just spent a good afternoon in the garage brewing up a porter. Started out with 6 gallons, boiled it down to five, cooled it down with a wort chiller to about 75-80, then pitched a couple of packs of the dry doric yeast.

I could hardly believe my ears when I heard the thing gurgling after an hour and a half. Then I woke up this morning to it hissing and coughing...I'm sure you've heard it yourself - the Kruesen was sputtering out the top, and cleared all the water out of the bubbler. :eek: A bit of a mess on the floor.

Any opinions out there on blowoff tubes? I've a 6.5 gal primary & a 5 gal secondary. Never used a blowoff tube, but I'm thinking about it now.

I had this happen to a Weisenbock, and it still turned out fabulous. (that sounded gay, not to make anyone nervous)

Any thoughts? :confused: :drunk:

I use a blowoff tube on one of my 6.5 gal primaries. It's just 1" ID tubing running into a bucket with leftover starsan solution. Works great, and I don't have to worry about blowing up an airlock :D

The same thing just happened to me. I brewed up a stout Friday night. Yesterday it didn't do much but this morning I checked for activity and found the air lock filled. I just replaced it with another air lock that I have, but next time it's a blowoff tube. Does the tube just fit in the top or do you need a rubber stopper?

Back