Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erich8

Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying that I have read that between 5-7 days is pretty typical for dry hopping, with that said I dry hopped on Saturday and here we are on Wednesday. So we are looking at roughly 4 days or so? Now to my question... Should I go ahead and wait until Saturday to bottle or if I bottled right now would it be fine? The only only reason I bring this to the forums is because I have a Porter that I am wanting to get brewed up and this would free up one of my fermentation vessels..

So what do you guys think? Wait till Saturday or should it be fine.. or does it just come down to preference? Thanks a lot.

Taste it. Does it taste good? Then bottle it. 4 days is usually plenty. I say go with convenience over schedule.

Anywhere between 5-12 days is probably the most typical dryhopping time frame for commercial & homebrewers alike. Some people will go outside these bounds and it doesn't make their processes wrong. Additionally, some people will complain about grassy flavors and automatically attribute that to increased length of dryhop. But this is not true in all cases for every brewer. There could be other factors that come into play here.

I too would recommend going by taste. Use a sanitized turkey baster to take a very quick sample, cover with airlock, and compare the dryhopped beer at 5 days, then 8, and then 12. Whatever anyone tells you, the beer will not be ruined either way. But at least you'll know the dryhop length that you personally prefer in the future.

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. Gonna go grab a sample now and give it a quick taste.

Back