The flavor of chemicals?(commercial Brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallbrew

Reaction score
Ok before I start I need to say feel free to move this thread if it is in the wrong place.:drunk:

On to the palatable taste of commercial brew:
I have been noticing as i brew that my beer tastes and finishes better than say the original i made a clone from, how can i describe it well i taste chemicals and not real hop flavor or is it rice sugar (?) on the commercial product but I taste malt and hops in homebrew (sometimes to much malt but i like that). Are there preservatives in beer other than hops and ethanol that Im tasting in my palate?:confused: I feer no beer but i can easily pick out a rice made beer product when say it has more than 30 percent rice extract. I can because i have brewed many a bud clone before.

Let me put this in another way I recently brought a 24 pack of my red ale(recipe was made using beer calculus and it said it was in the medium to low hoppy side 20 IBU's ), over to the family in Cali. Once i got started to drinking it my family, and their friends asks why dont i taste that horrid after taste(i assumed that ment it was good). I couldn't answer , to me the red ale I cloned from seemed only a tad bit more chemically bitter.
one of them had some Smithwicks irish ale how ever it tasted fine like hops and light malt but not to strong of a chemical bite however i did taste it.

Stranger still, my mother in law loves Boston lager and that clean bitter , slightly malty taste and i don't blame her but wen i made a clone it seemed to not have the same astringent bite as sam's they all loved my beer except mother in law. can u guys help me in determining the bitterness or chemical bite Budweiser and sam's lager and even Murphy's Red ale has? If it is a hops that i missed id like to know which/ why i taste that same "bite" in some beer not just in bud. Finally has anyone else found this harsh chemical like flavor in beer or in their home brew?

LONG LIVE HOME BREW EVER EXTENDING MY PALATE AND MY WAIST SIZE

I know what you are talking about, but I think it has something to do with being bottled for a relatively long time. It's that odd "commerical beer" taste, but even good beers have it (I've been drinking dogfish head and stone recently and they had it too.)

Back