Do Hops Go Bad if Package Opened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
I recieved some hops that seem to be less than fresh, when I opened the sub package that they were packaged in I noitced that the little package of hops was opened, and some had spilled out inside the bag they were sealed in. I put them back in their little package rolled them up and taped it shut for now. The second package of hops that was in there was sealed but when I gave it a squeeze from the outside they seemed hard in there. Im not positive but I think most hop pellets I recieved to date were spungy feeling from the outside of the package. So I guess the question is are these hops still viable for brewing, or should I call the company that shipped to me and request replacement hops? I would hate to have paid money for a sub par product.:rockin:

They aren't spoiled or anything like that but they do loose their potency and fresh taste over time. Opening just speeds that up.

Also,I've never gotten spongy hop pellets. Whole leaf,or raw as some call them,will give a little. That's normal.

Yes,always keep'em in the freezer. I keep mine in a zip lock freezer bag on the little shelf above the ice maker. Partial packets I roll the edge over,crease it,Then reseal with packing tape. Back in the zip lock bag in the freezer it goes.

I seal mine in a foodsaver (vaccuum sealed bags). Here's some of the Sept 2012 harvest

ForumRunner_20130216_093203.jpg

ForumRunner_20130216_093222.jpg

ForumRunner_20130216_093234.jpg

Thanks for all your replies, I will likely just go buy some fresh hops from my LHBS to boost what I recieved in the mail, and will likely also call ABS, and have them send me some replacements for the open package. Maybe I was imagining they would be spongy, but never really gave them a squeeze outside the package, so when I found a few pellets and noticed they were firm I just assumed they were dried out or stale.

Latest posts

Back