Who rides a motorbike ? check in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
I'll start:

What do you ride ( s) 1989 Honda TransAfrica Twin ( 600 cc )
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa ( 250 cc)

How long have you been riding ? since I was 8, so, 34 years ...ugh

How many have you owned ?about a dozen, mostly MX bikes, now, mostly dual sport/adventure bikes

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ?

I flipped over the handlebars when I was about 17, too slow for the jump, and landed on my back, with the bike landing on top of me, amazingly, I was still holding on to the bars, broke my thumb, but otherwise not hurt....where was youtube back then ????

Show us your pictures :

The Red Bull TransAfrica Twin :

601319234_b5090a6cdc.jpg

The Super Sherpa:
P1000386.jpg

What do you ride: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero Ace Classic 750 Twin

How long have you been riding ? 5 years?

How many have you owned ? 2, previous bike was a 60's or 70's CB450 that I never got onto the road, umm, legally. The day before I was of legal age to get a bike license the shift pin sheared in the tranny and I could not find a replacement ANYWHERE at the time. Sold the bike as junk for $100. Shameful.

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? Forgetting the kick stand the first day I owned the BRAND NEW bike and laying it down. A near equal to me swerving to avoid a dog on a highway off ramp and dumping the bike and myself in the grass. Can you say OUCH?

Was the first time and last time I ever rode without a helmet. Doc confirmed I still have a brain. He's just not sure I know how to use it and it didn't come with a manual so, I am still figuring it all out.

Show us you pictures : Don't have any.

4 bikes right now

Springer softail 103 ci
Yamaha Silverado 1100
Yamaha V-Star 650
Honda Hondamatic 450

street riding 34 years Started on a little mini bike at like 5
Springer on the way to Laconia bikeweek in 2007
laconiroad1.jpg

the others minus the Honda the FatBoy is my wifes
silverado2.JPG

thats my winter project in the background 1968 AMX 390 4 speed

'05 Victory Hammer.

1st bike, 4 years old.

I knew SWMBO would only ever let me buy 1, so I got the one I wanted the first time.

Most memorable experience? Having the paramedics call SWMBO on the way to the ER after that B***H pulled out in front of me coming out of Walmart.

What do you ride? 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250, I'd like a bigger one, but that would require money...and somewhere to put it!

How long have you been riding? Since the Fall of 2005

How many have you owned ? Just the one for now and probably for the near future.

Most memorable moment/event on your bike? Low siding when I found out that the perfectly functioning rear shock I'd purchased on eBay was not, in fact, perfectly functioning.

Show us your pictures? See my avatar, but I do have others! :p

What do you ride? 1990 BMW R100 GS and 2006 BMW K1200R

How long have you been riding? Began riding with my father at the age of 3...no kidding! My first memory is one of us on a bike together...I got my first dirt bike when I was 8. Got out of it for a few years, then back in about 9 years ago. The BMW motorcycle community is where I met my husband.

How many have you owned ? Ummm....several. Between El Hubbo and myself, we've got 5 now. I just sold two this past year and bought the GS this past summer. I like to trade out my rides.

Most memorable moment/event on your bike? Kicking a lowlife off of my bike when he got on behind me while I was getting gas. He grabbed my boobs and I kicked his ass with a well-timed, full-leg roundhouse-like move. It was pure luck and it was awesome. Yep, I've had some tumbles on two wheels, but THAT was the scariest moment. Creep.

Show us your pictures?

My "new" baby...this isn't THE bike, but one exactly like it...haven't named it yet:
BMW_R100_GS.jpg

And my fast girl, The Screaming Meanie:
mountain_bike_sm1.jpg

2002 Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Rode to work today and just about ready to take the long way home over 2 mountain passes. Then a homebrew. Life is good.

IMG_5945.jpg

What do you ride ( s) 2002 Suzuki SV650 (not the S version, they're ugly as sin)

How long have you been riding ? since I was 9 or so
How many have you owned ? 3 at this point, but only two are big boy bikes :D

Show us your pictures :

Don't have any at the moment :(

Heres Mine

What do you ride? 2001 Victory V92
How long have I been riding? First solo ride when I was 8 (mini bike) 11 (grandpa's street bike, a Honda 125)
How many Have I owned? Good lord, ummm 5 or 6.
My best ride? I would have to be the Tail of the Dragon http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ in North Carolina's Smokey Mountains. My mom grew up there, so I've been on that road long before it became a tourist attraction. Its 318 curves in 11 miles!

mancave1.jpg

ridewithdad.jpg

Mine:
2004 Sportster XL1200C (blu/blk)
1993 Kawasaki KX500
Wife's:
2005 Sportster XL1200C
2002 Honda CR250

We've both been riding since 2003. Started on a Yamaha Virago 535.

Most memorable moment: Riding through Monument Valley with the wife during a spring afternoon in 2006. Surreal and amazing scenery.

Second most memorable moment: First time going on a real desert ride on the KX500, staring down Jose hill* and wondering how it's even humanly possible to go down it. Then I went down it and lived....

IMG_1090.jpg

*Jose hill is so named after Jose, who lost control of his quad, which proceeded to flip and tumble into hundreds of unusable pieces.

What do you ride? 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

How long have you been riding? Bought my first bike at 24, so 5 years.

How many have you owned? Four...1996 Kawasaki EX500, "4,5,6 Bike" consisting of a Bandit 400 front end, EX500 frame and motor, and ZX-6 rear end, this one is a project which will probably never be finished, and a 1988 Honda NX250 which my girlfriend rides.

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? Low-sided my first bike (the EX500) when I had too much lean angle in a corner. I was wearing my leather jacket and sturdy jeans so I was basically unharmed and the bike was fine except for some cosmetic stuff. I feel pretty lucky not to be hurt. It was a great experience overall because I learned a lot about riding within my limits and the limits of the bike.

What do you ride: 2003 Kawasaki z1000

How long have you been riding ? 7 years

How many have you owned ?5th bike

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ?when i first moved up from my 1980 kz to the z. i was riding down n. beach st in Daytona. buddy on his r6 pulled out hard. i knew the z could take him so i cracked open the throttle. Well, bike reared up so fast i had no idea what happened.... and then came back down on two wheels just as fast. spent the next ten mins curbside tending to my crushed nutz. the bike told me who was boss!

Show us your pictures :
IMG_0024.jpg

l_2e8718831a920fae88b585b3572d2fd1.jpg

What do you ride: 1975 Honda CB750K

How long have you been riding? 17 years, road, 27 off road

How many have you owned? Counting dirt bikes, 7

Most memorable moment/event on your bike? Breaking my ribs on my RM250 riding all out crazy...and it hurt like crazy.

Show us your pictures: I'm so out of touch with technology!

What do you ride ? 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300.

How long have you been riding ? 10 years or so.

How many have you owned ? 3.

Scraping the HELL out of a 1200 GS footpegs, two-up on the Coromandel peninsula in New Zealand.

Show us your pictures :

Me and my FJR on a weekend getaway to Telluride:

fjrandme.jpg

Sold my ZX-11 not long ago. I may get a cheap bike when we move to Hawaii, but my next bike will be a BMW GS - we're headed back to Colorado after Hawaii. :D

Zed%20lookin'%20good.jpg

What do you ride ? 2008 Harley-Davidson Dyna Street Bob

How long have you been riding ? Since I was 10 and got a Yamaha 50cc for Xmas

How many have you owned ? Personally, just this one. Total bikes I have had that technically my dad has owned: 6

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? Went down last spring. That sucked. But most memorable was when my dad first let me take out his 88 Softail Springer. That bike was/is his favorite he ever had. The day he decided I was tall enough and strong enough to take it for a spin around the neighborhood, I will never forget.

Show us your pictures :

photo.jpg

What do you ride ? 2002 BMW K1200LT

How long have you been riding ? Got my first bike right after I turned 18 and I've been on a bike for almost 30 years.

How many have you owned ? I'm on # 8

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? Another "went down" story involving an 18 wheeler slamming into us...and he won. But lots of happy memories since I have ridden all over the USA, Mexico, and parts of Canada.

MMW, how ya like her? Mine has 48K miles on it and still running strong. Only real break-down was a busted clutch cable. I had an oil sensor malfunction in the middle of a huge rain storm, but that really don't count, it was ummmm wet. HA!

Nice ride!, Is that one of those self contained portable bike garages?

BTW, I joined the Brewing Bikers! :mug:

Snafu: I love my bike. Nowhere near 48k on her but I just commute on her mostly. Broke my clutch cable about a year ago which made for a very exciting then very boring morning. Voltage regulator went bad in the first 500 miles but no worries getting it replaced. Gobs of power and torque...:D

What do you ride ? 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing

How long have you been riding ? 3 years

How many have you owned ? 2

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? My first bike was a basket case 82 Maxim 400. It had bent valves and a broken cam chain. Did all the work myself. The first time I heard it roar to life and took her around the block was a GREAT moment!!

I've got a better pic somewhere.. not sure where though

main.php

What do you ride ? 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing

How long have you been riding ? 3 years

How many have you owned ? 2

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? My first bike was a basket case 82 Maxim 400. It had bent valves and a broken cam chain. Did all the work myself. The first time I heard it roar to life and took her around the block was a GREAT moment!!

I've got a better pic somewhere.. not sure where though

I had a red 76 also with the Vetter fairing and bags a lot of people don't believe the bike didn't start out a touring bike but a 4 cyl cruiser. Hard to believe how the bike has changed.

What do you ride ? 1991 Honda VFR750F

How long have you been riding ? Since I was very young.

How many have you owned ? Several.

Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? Regulator/Recifier (rectumfryer) died twice on my VFR and left me stranded. I have since added a voltmeter to the cluster, and a PC fan now cools the R/R to keep it from failing. Aside from the common R/R problem, this is the best all-around bike out there. A little top-heavy, and the pegs are a little low if you're aggressive in the twisties, but I love it.

bike231.jpg

bike233.jpg

I had a red 76 also with the Vetter fairing and bags a lot of people don't believe the bike didn't start out a touring bike but a 4 cyl cruiser. Hard to believe how the bike has changed.

Yea, they have changed!!!

this one was actually my dad's for YEARS and he sold it to me when he bought his 08 GL1800. Put them next to each other and you would be amazed!

What do you ride: '04 Buell XB12S

How long have you been riding ? 12 years

How many have you owned ? a moped, 97 Kawi KLR250, 2001 HD sportser, and now the Buell

Screwing around on a moped, with beer in my stomach (first and last time)... I was stupid, but only ended up with scrapes.

Show us your pictures :
l_ec98c8cc0b2a4fc68c7f5c767a4810a9.jpg

Like women, bikes come and go. I bought my first bike, a 1966 Honda Trail 90, in 1967 when I was 16. I've had about a dozen since and I'm back to my first - a Honda Trail 90. My favorite was a 1972 BSA Lightning. Here are my last three bikes, beginning with the current one:

IMG_2947.JPG

1971 Honda Trail 90

CB_550c_1_.jpg

1978 Honda CB 550K

Honda_CB750A.JPG

1977 CB750A

Been a while since we've had one of these threads. 18 years? I still have my Honda 650 VLX Shadow. It's my second bike. I had a Kawasaki 550 GPZ, which was the original rice rocket. Keeping 4 carburetors sync'd was a pain and it was just a little too tall.

What do you ride
1979 Yamaha XS750 Triple

How long have you been riding Since I was 18, so 27 years, the last 25 with the same bike

How many have you owned This is my third. Bought a '73 Honda 350 when I was 18, and the motor blew up a month later. Went to a '80 Yamaha XS400S after that, and rode that for a couple years. Then decided I wanted to go bigger, and bought the 750 in 1984. I've ridden that one ever since.

I have two. In the first year or two I had it, I ran over a possum going way too fast on a backroad. The damned possum literally blew up, spraying possum guts all over the motor and exhaust. It stunk to high heaven every time I fired it up for about a month.

Then, a couple months ago, I was riding with a friend on a country road just after dark. Took a turn too fast and went off the road and onto the grassy shoulder. Overcompensated with the back brake, and the next thing I knew I had put her down and was skidding in the grass. I am a lucky man- there was not a scratch on either me or the bike. My friend thought I was in real trouble. Just goes to show you to take nothing for granted- no matter how long you have been riding, and how much experience you have, everybody's human.

Show us your pictures :

1979 Yamaha XS750 Triple:

phpQgErALPM.jpg

phpyRuR4MPM.jpg

Off the top of my head, I'd give that honor to the 500 Triple (two-stroke.) :D

What do you think?

Love those triples!

What do you ride ? see below
How long have you been riding ? 7 years, everyday
Most memorable moment/event on your bike ? lots of em. The crashes are always memorable. Fast rides through the twisties on some mountain road. The 12 hour ride through the rain and snow to spend an hour on a freezing beach...

here's mine:
72 Vespa Sprint Veloce (200cc) - my daily driver for the last 6 years
img_0894.jpg

62 lambretta Li125 (200cc)
before:
kscan_0010.jpg

after:
kscan_0011.jpg

72 XS650
before:
img_1111.jpg

after:
IMG_3361.JPG

62 Vespa GL (166cc)
before:
img_0614.jpg

after:
img_1195.jpg

and the latest, still unfinished bike. My 78 Vespa Smallframe (133cc)
before:
IMG_1749.JPG

after:
IMG_1793.JPG

I started brewing again as a cheaper hobby...

This is my current scoot.

s3-side.jpg

2006 Triumph Speed triple.

Been riding on an off since I was a teenager. Last bike was a BMW F650. I miss the dirt roads, and there are plenty of them around. I will probably either get an F800 or GS1200 this spring.

Latest posts

Back