Hop Flavored Beer Lollipops Recipe – LolliHOPS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NerdyMarie

Reaction score
Last summer, I developed this recipe for my husband... and for my blog. He'd been growing hops for the first time, so I thought I'd make him a funky new treat. It's a good way to use up any extra hops!

This recipe sort of mutated from my "Jalapeno Beer Brittle" (another favorite, lemme know if you want me to post it!).

Well, it turned out great – and my husband was a very, very happy man! These were incredibly easy to make, anyone can make them at home!

Hop Flavored Beer Lollipops recipe – LolliHOPS!

Small amount of butter
1/2 cup beer of choice (We used an IPA)
6 dried hop cones (we used Centennial)*
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
Lollipop sticks

Use butter to generously grease the back of 1 or 2 baking sheets, set aside. (Alternatively, just line it with parchment paper - NOT waxed paper)

Heat beer to a light simmer. Break up hop cones into leaves, add to warm beer. Remove from heat, allow to steep for about 10 minutes.

Strain beer into a measuring glass, measuring only 1/3 cup. (The 1/2 cup measurement is to allow for some evaporation / hop leaf absorption). In a heavy saucepan (2 quart), mix together sugar, corn syrup, and strained 1/3 cup of beer.

Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then attach candy thermometer to saucepan. Stir often until temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees Celcius). KEEP A VERY CLOSE EYE ON IT after about 280 degrees, as the temp has a tendancy to race up at that point. If you turn your back, you could burn it!

At 300 degrees, remove the pan from heat. Allow to cool & thicken slightly, stirring constantly – about 1 minute.

Working quickly, drop small amounts of the hot sugar mixture onto the greased baking sheets – about 1-3 tsp(s) per, depending on the desired size of your lollihops. Lay a lollipop stick into each circle, so that the tip is near the center of the lollipop, and flat against the surface. (ie, you want it parallel to the baking sheet, not perpendicular to it!). Carefully give each stick a bit of a twirl, so that the candy coats around the stick to hold it in place.

Cool completely, carefully remove from baking sheets. Wrap with plastic, waxed paper, parchment paper, or whatever. Enjoy!

* Hops can vary wildly in size and flavor. Be sure to taste as you go – you may not want to use the whole 10 minute steeping time. If you don’t have access to whole dried hop cones, you can use 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp of hop pellets! It doesn’t take much, so your next batch of home brew won’t miss it!

Lollihops.jpg

Just posted to it, LOL! Oh, and yes... they ARE really good. I don't even like beer (aside from for cooking/baking), and even I enjoy em! Hubby flipped right out when he tried em!

I'm actually getting OUT of the business of making food for others, and focusing more on writing & developing recipes... or I totally would. There is *SO* much you can flavor with beer and/or hops - unlimited possibilities.

do you need a candy therm to brew these?

i thought you max out at 212F on the stovetop without a pressure coooker, how do you get 300F?

I imagine these must be quite bitter, if heated up to 300F

As the sugar solution boils, the water begins to evaporated and it becomes more and more saturated causing the temperature to continue to rise. Once you get to about 305F and above, the solution begins to caramelize. Don't turn your back for too long once you get above 250. Hop Candy Rocks!

I'm interested in your other recipe as well... Sounds great I just ordered some while hops for the hopped Cree fresh I plan to make...

Back