Who here has used honey for carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
I wanted to get a hint of honey in my beer but read everywhere that it all ferments away... I was thinking if i use it when bottling it might be a sneaky way to keep some of that honey taste in.

So my question is... anyone have a recipe to substitute a honey solution for priming sugar? Without making bottle bombs?

I use wildflower honey in some of my beers and it most certainly does not all ferment away. You can use this calculator if you're determined to use honey: Brewheads.com - Priming Sugar Calculator

Remember, honey has a lot of antimicrobial properties and it doesn't like to ferment --just ask any mead maker about the headache of nutrient additions. I've never bottle conditioned with honey and can't see why I ever would but I'd be concerned that the yeast left in suspension simply might not have enough oomph left to ferment the honey out and give you enough carbonation.

I carb exclusively with honey. I don't know any difference, as it's all I've done. But in 4+ batches I have yet to get a bottle bomb. I use a priming calculator, and look at the nutritional facts for the honey I'm using. Calculate how much honey will give the required ounces (weight) of sugar, and go from there. From what I understand, honey is something like 98% fermentable, and doesn't tend to leave a noticeable flavor. That is based solely on what I've read here, though, as I have no other experience to go on. I have read that using a honey extract will give you that honey flavor and aroma, if that's what you're looking for.

For the record, I have used approximately 3 TBL per gallon of beer with fairly good results. Both an IPA and a Porter came out pretty well that way. I have yet to use corn sugar, though, so I can't compare the relative effects. Just my $.02 worth of personal experience.

All the time and no issues, just heat it up and dissolve it in water...the later you add the honey to the boil, the more there will be of the taste.

I'd crack them after the first month of carbing to get the best taste of the honey, it will mellow the longer you go

Edit--
And as above, 3 tablespoons per gallon is the standard amount

I've primed with honey and notice no difference. Honey added after primary leaves behind a distinct taste but it's not quite the same as honey. Honey malt is probably the way to go.

Back