First brew: White House Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlgtrumpet

Reaction score
Hi folks, been lurking for a while, here's my first post! Just brewed my first batch on Saturday, went with the WHHA from Northern Brewer with the dry yeast option (Danstar Windsor Ale). Everything went well, think I ended up with a bit more water than I wanted at the end my OG was 1.052 (recipe states 1.062). Temperature has been holding at 58-62 range (hard to tell exactly with the temp gauge on the side of the carboy) - yeast started up Saturday night, when I woke up Sunday morning the airlock was overflowing with foam, so I washed/sanitized and left it. It's been pretty active, but no bubbles in the airlock at all. I am fermenting in a chest freezer and can taste the CO2 in the air, and there is still foam (a lot less now) at the top. I can still see the yeast but not as much and it looks pretty cloudy.

This is my first batch, so just wondering if all seems well or if anyone notices any red flags in my process so far?

I am planning on taking a gravity reading on Saturday -- does this sound right?

brew1.jpg

brew2.jpg

Thanks, what a great community we have here.

Cheers,
Matt

The temp may be a bit low depending on the yeast that you bought with that batch. Because I know you will keep brewing, take the top off that air lock, toss the piece inside and attach a hose to it. Place the hose in a gallon jug filled with starsan and water. This way if there is crazy activity it blows into the jug. The pics look great but the yeast may have went to sleep at that temp though. Most of my batches are usually in the mid 60 range. But that's just what has worked for me.

I did an Irish Red Ale as my first and I had the exact same thing happen to my brew. It only did it once and I replaced with a sanitized airlock and all was well after that. Soon as I replaced the clogged up air lock mine began to bubble instantly. I got my kit form the LHBS.

The temp may be a bit low depending on the yeast that you bought with that batch. Because I know you will keep brewing, take the top off that air lock, toss the piece inside and attach a hose to it. Place the hose in a gallon jug filled with starsan and water. This way if there is crazy activity it blows into the jug. The pics look great but the yeast may have went to sleep at that temp though. Most of my batches are usually in the mid 60 range. But that's just what has worked for me.

Ahh, I checked Danstar's site and found that they recommend 64-70 -- it's been at a low temp with some activity for two days, will bringing the temp up restart the yeast or do I need to re-pitch?

Looks like bringing the temp up did the trick. Here come the bubbles ...

Fill your airlock up some more to half way otherwise air can go in the holes from the center piece and down into your carboy and beer after the CO2 being given off is gone. I made an all-grain version of this and everyone who has tried it liked it. Should be good !

Back