Oktoberfest Beer with Nottingham Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I know it it possible to brew an Oktoberfest like beer with Nottingham Ale Yeast but how will it turn out? Will the Notty ferment it out too dry?

Is there a better use for this yeast? I bought a pack a good while ago just in case I had a batch that didn't take off. It needs to be used in the next two months according to the package. I guess I could always do a Pale Ale but I really wanted to try an Oktoberfest like beer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Based on the discription of the yeast, I would give it a try and ferment it cool if you can. They claim it will produce a lager type of beer when fermented at the low range of its suggested temp range of 57 to 70f. The caution that you should pitch a larger quanity of the yeast if you do plan on fermenting cold.

I saw that part about lager like characteristics. I was planning on fermenting it around 65˚F as I have a Belgian Dark Strong Ale that will be finishing up in the fermentation chamber.

EdWort uses a kolsch strain in his Oktoberfest Ale, BierMuncher uses safale 04 in his, I use WLP007 in mine. Lots of variation out there, If you like Notty give it a go and please let us know what you think.

Actually I have never used Notty, I have always used liquid yeast. I bought the Notty just in case I had a fermentation that stalled. Now, it's use it trash it time.

In that case I'd suggest fermenting between 60-65 to prevent the fruity flavors Notty can impart at higher temps, should turn out good.

I once made a Munich Dunkel with Nottingham and fermented it at 58. It was friggin awesome.

I'd use Wyeast 1007 German Ale and look at the style 'Northern German Alt'.

Or do a Pale Ale.

If you really want to try an Oktoberfest beer try Paulaner and Ayinger for benchmarks. Then try Gordon Biersch and Sam Adams. Then try Fuller's ESB.

GB and SA will show the importance of malt selection and a minimalist approach. Fuller's is closest to what you'll get with Nottingham Ale yeast.

I once made a Munich Dunkel with Nottingham and fermented it at 58. It was friggin awesome.

Munich Dunkel sounds good too. I have been wanting to brew one.

I may use the Notty for the Munich Dunkel and make the O'fest with some SanFran Lager yeast that I have.

Back