creating an extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella86

Reaction score
Forgive me I guess for asking a stupid question, but it it possible to create an extract kit? Without having to do everything required to boil 20+litres.

Of course, you can scale it down however you want. If you can buy small amounts of LME, buy DME as it is much easier to measure and portion out. It also lasts much better once opened.

Would you be able to use it how you would a normal extract kit and make up the other 20l with water?

No. I know I'm being thick. I want to make the contents of a kit (the can). But without do a full mash where you are boiling 20l+. is it even possible?

are you asking if its possible to do an extract batch without having to boil the full 5 gallons (20 litres)?

if so that is called a partial boil and is very common to do

you can boil 2-3 gallons (8-12 litres) then cool and top off with the remaining water necessary to give you a full volume of 20L/5gal

I'm not sure I'm entirely clear on what you're asking, so let me try to reiterate your question... From my reading, I get the impression you want to brew a full batch (e.g., 5 gallons) from an extract recipe without boiling the full amount? If this is the case, yes, you can reduce the boil volume and top off later on, but your hop balance will be thrown off due to the smaller volume during the boil.

If that misses your point entirely, sorry, but I'm not clear on your intent :).

20l = equals five gallons right? And You boil less than 4 gallons 2.5 I think then when ur done I dump the wort In my fermenting bucket then top it off to 5 gal.

smagee said:
I'm not sure I'm entirely clear on what you're asking, so let me try to reiterate your question... From my reading, I get the impression you want to brew a full batch (e.g., 5 gallons) from an extract recipe without boiling the full amount? If this is the case, yes, you can reduce the boil volume and top off later on, but your hop balance will be thrown off due to the smaller volume during the boil.

If that misses your point entirely, sorry, but I'm not clear on your intent :).

Ya I think he thinks you boil the whole 5 gal at once.

See i said I was being thick, I guess I got it I'm my head you had to boil the full 5g. Just some of the recipes I'd read said they boiled it all . Unless I misread.

Oh and I like your dog :-D

Thank you. Dapper Corgi is also a fellow brewer ;).

See i said I was being thick, I guess I got it I'm my head you had to boil the full 5g. Just some of the recipes I'd read said they boiled it all . Unless I misread.

I wouldn't say you're being thick; it's entirely probable that a lot of the recipes you've seen call for a full boil--it's very typical. That said, some of us either boil on the stove top still or simply haven't invested in a kettle that'll hold ten thousand gallons of liquid yet, in which case the partial boil is perfectly acceptable. Just keep in mind that as I said before, it'll change your hop extraction. If you reduce your volume on a recipe that calls for a full boil, you'll generally want to increase the hops a bit to compensate.

He wanted to know if you had a full boil extract kit if you could use less or more water I think

smagee said:
Generally no, I stick to partial mash for the most part. As I said, I'm limited by my facilities, so can't keep 5+ gallons boiling all that easily.

Ahhh ok may I suggest that you save up for a turkey fryer with the kettle it's only $75-120 where I live.

Ahhh ok may I suggest that you save up for a turkey fryer with the kettle it's only $75-120 where I live.

Money for a pot isn't the issue, so much as the fact that it's illegal in my area to have a propane tank larger than the size for camping lanterns ;). Upgrades are pending once facilities are less restrictive.

Revvy did I really word it that badly :( I'm tryingy best honest.

And 'stella86' isn't a she, woman would be able to get the question across better ha

smagee said:
Money for a pot isn't the issue, so much as the fact that it's illegal in my area to have a propane tank larger than the size for camping lanterns ;). Upgrades are pending once facilities are less restrictive.

Oh :'( well good luck, and good luck Stella any questions just pm me.

Back