Biere de garde using 2112 lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfermenter1

Reaction score
Advice on technique for this recipe? My first use of a Lager yeast (Wyeast2112)
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-BieredeGarde.pdf
Clearly the instructions are . . . lacking! I followed the single infusion.

The partial mash instruction calls for 2 months in the secondary, and the all grain tells me just a few weeks, I wonder why the difference?

The wait time before consumption is long, and any lessons learned would help with regard to the secondary time and temp, as well as length and temp of the bottle cold condition.

Any tips from the pro's using this recipe or the Lager Wyeast 2112 in this "Steam" technique would be appreciated. With these beers that "delay gratification" I always like to ensure I dont miss a trick that could help ensure the wait was worth it.

This sounds good. It turn out well?

I have a 2112 steam beer in primary right now. Looking for beer #2 !

So far so good! It requires such a long conditioning time that I have only been able to sample a bottle here and there to sample the transition. Yeast clears out really well. I am already a big fan and will try using 2112 again.

Newfermenter1 said:
So far so good! It requires such a long conditioning time that I have only been able to sample a bottle here and there to sample the transition. Yeast clears out really well. I am already a big fan and will try using 2112 again.

I decided to throw a Baltic porter on the cal common cake. Might try the beer de garde next. If you remember post how it turns out!

This really went well! Tasted best@ around ambient temp / slightly cool vs straight out of the fridge. Great color, yeast held to the bottom of the bottle (There is a name for that but its early :)). I will be doing this again for sure. Friends, family, and thirsty neighbors helped plow through this batch.

Latest posts

Back