Substitute Saaz for Brewer's Gold???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBalls

Reaction score
I am attempting my first partial mash batch this weekend using a recipe from Russell's No. American Clone Brews, Fat Tire Ale. The recipe calls for Brewer's Gold for bittering, and Saaz (doesn't specify U.S. or Czech) for flavoring. My LHBS had Czech Saaz, but no BG. I asked what I could substitue for the BG, and he told me just to use all Saaz. What are the opinions here?

Also, the recipe calls for Belgian ale yeast, which they also didn't have. Again I asked for a sub, and he gave me London ESB. I'm starting to worry that I will get nothing similar to Fat Tire...:confused:

In a recent interview with John at Rogue he said the use to use Saaz as the late addition hop in Dead Guy but have switched to Sterling so that may be an option for you.

Thanks, but I'm looking to substitute the Brewer's Gold, not the Saaz. I have 3 ounces of 2.9% Saaz.

More experienced brewers can set me straight if I am wrong, but I thought it doesn't matter that much which hops you use for bittering. With hops added at the start of the boil I thought that you will boil away pretty much all but the alpha acids, with little or no flavoring or aroma carryover in to the final wort. You just need to match the alpha acid levels in IBUs or HBUs. The choice of the later hops for flavoring and aroma matter much more, as I understand it.

Back