Blonde Kriek - best approach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd46

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old kriek I'm going to be bottling in the next couple weeks. I was planning on brewing a blonde and dumping it directly onto the cherry/yeast cake left over from the kriek. But the more I think about it I can't decide if this is a good or bad idea. Should I add more cherries to boost that flavor? Or just start from scratch with a new batch of cherries and lambic yeast pack. Thoughts?

Either way I want to do this 'blonde kriek', it's just a matter of approach.

bradjoiner said:
Why not wash the yeast? You definitely want to pitch fresh sacc.

I don't want to wash away all the good bugs is all. I thought about adding some fresh yeast to the mix. You think that's wise to avoid overly intense souring? Or simply proper attenuation.

It does depend on how long the cherries have been in there, but once you take the beer off the cherries it is going to oxidize very quickly. I'm talking minutes, and it's going to start smelling like vomit very quickly ...... I don't think you are going to want to re-pitch on it.

If you want to salvage some of the cake/bugs, you could strain the cake/fruit through something like a paint straining bag; use the liquid and dump the solids.

Yes, you will probably want to add some fresh yeast.

Back