Coastarine's Peach Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
A clean american wheat beer serving as a canvas to showcase fruit
This recipe was a throw-together based on ingredients that I had laying around. SWMBO had given me a brewer's best weizenbier kit that sat in storage for a long time, so I salvaged the wheat LME and created this. It was originally brewed for her enjoyment but received nothing but rave reviews from even the most hardcore craft beer drinkers. It does have a very strong fruit flavor but that didn't turn anyone off!

6.6lbs Wheat LME
1oz hallertau 60min (Any alpha % under, say, 6% would be fine. Just looking for a few IBU's to keep things in balance)

Boil for 60 minutes, chill, and pitch 1 packet of rehydrated US-05. Ferment at 66-72 for 1 week. Rack onto 1 can of oregon farms peach puree in the secondary and give it one more week.

At bottling/kegging add peach extract to taste. If you want to brew this the way I did, use the whole 4oz. If you keg like me, then you have the ability to add 2oz and then step it up if you want more. The head retention on this beer was really great. I was amazed at how good this turned out considering the simplicity of the recipe!
Peach.JPG

Think I have a Brett infection with this beer in the primary. Going ahead with the fruit in the secondary. Any ideas on how it might end up tasting?

I decided to throw in a little crystal malt when I brewed this AG to keep it from going too dry. Here is the AG recipe:
4lb 2-row
4lb white wheat
.25lb C10

Here's what she looks like when brewed AG instead of extract:

20091121 Peach Wheat.JPG

Back