High-Test Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowmage36

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Danstar Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
~1.062
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
~13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days in glass @ ~65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days in glass @ ~65F
Tasting Notes
Not terribly bitter, very faint but pleasant malt sweetness, and very well spiced.
This is a very drinkable pumpkin ale with some very good spicing. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you! It's actually quite easy, and well worth the effort. It's very drinkable after about 4 weeks from pitching, but gets even better with time. The spices really mellow and blend in nicely. Hopefully sometime I can get around to doing an all-grain version, as I would really like to see how this turns out from pure base malts. I would also like to thank Joe Gallo of How Do You Brew in Newark, DE for giving me the original recipe that inspired this. The spicing is completely his list, as is the maple syrup and brown sugar (his wife tells me it's his pumpkin pie recipe. DO WANT!). I may or may not have added extra sugar for more a$$-kicking goodness :cross: :D. And now, without further mountain dew, on to the show!

Bill of materials for 5 gallons:

4 lbs pumpkin puree
1 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs Carapils
3.3 lbs Briess Amber LME
3.3 lbs Briess Golden Light LME
1 lb corn sugar
1 oz. Fuggles leaf (60 min)
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings leaf (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
2 tsp Bentonite (15 min)
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings Leaf (5 min)
1 tsp pectinase
1 pack (11g) Danstar Nottingham Ale dry yeast
1 tsp Cinnamon
0.5 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground mace
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup real maple syrup

1) Start off by putting the 4 lbs of pureed pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling!) in a steeping bag (nylon works best) and putting that in ~1 gallon of cold water on the stove. Slowly heat to a boil over the next hour.

2) Put the grains together in a separate pot in a steeping bag. Steep them at 150F for about a half hour of so (I suggest starting this halfway through the pumpkin steep, so both finish at the same time for adding into the main kettle).

3) Once the pumpkin is at a boil, remove it from the water and squeeze out any juice left. Discard the pumpkin. Take that water off the heat and pour it over the grains. Let steep another 15 minutes or so, then discard the grains.

4) While all that is going on, bring 2 gallons of water up to a boil. Add the LME when your steeping is all done. Add the water from your steeping grains/pumpkin to the kettle, too. Dissolve in the LME and bring back to a boil.

5) Boil for ~1 hour or until you're down to about 3 gallons, however long that may take. Then begin the timed boil and hop additions.

6) Add the first hops at 60 minutes, the second at 15 along with the Irish moss, bentonite, and 1 lb of corn sugar. Then add the last hops at 5 minutes.

7) Remove from heat, cool to ~90F, add to carboy already filled with ~2 gallons cold water, and top up to 5 gallons.

8) Add 1 tsp pectinase. Put your airlock on and allow the batch to cool and the pectic enzyme to work on the batch overnight. You don't have to wait overnight, but you should give the enzymes at least an hour or two to work before adding yeast.

9) Take a gravity reading (should be near 1.060) and pitch your yeast. You're going to want a blowoff tube. Trust me. I mean it. Don't say I didn't warn you. Notty is a BEAST.

10) After about 9 or 10 days, rack to secondary. Before racking, boil the spices, maple syrup, and brown sugar in ~3 cups of water for 5 minutes. Rack about 1-2 gallons of beer into your secondary, then add the spice mixture through a filter funnel (not too fine a mesh, whatever you normally use to strain hops should work). Use the rest of your beer to make sure that you get all the sugars washed in.

11) Let ferment another 10-14 days, then bottle or keg as you normally do. I force-carbonated it and let it age another week or so before it was tapped at the Halloween party, and no one had any complaints save that the spices were a bit too forward. Time, however, smoothes this out nicely.

I fully intend on having this around for every Halloween from now on. I'm probably going to have to brew 2 batches this year. We've kicked the keg every time I've made this in less than 6 hours!

Back