balloon air lock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsoeverclear

Reaction score
Cheers :mug:

One minute on this site, and I can already tell my internet company is going to hate me... The bandwidth I'll be using, just reading and posting on this site, is going to be torrential.

Anywho...

So my question is, does it matter where you poke holes in the balloon? read below for more details if you wish...

It's my first brew, brewing some cider... I'm using the ghetto method. The gallon jug and water balloon method...

So, everything was a ok until I started having these thoughts that my brew would explode. Like something you'd see a blockbuster action movie.

You see, I poked only 1 tiny hole in the balloon and the jug cap ( I didn't unscrew the cap, I just poked a tiny hole in the center). So, I thought I'd poke some more holes in the balloon and cap to be safe...

I poked two more larger holes in the cap and balloon. Or so I thought... I actually ended up poking like 4 or 5 extra holes in the balloon. Right on the neck of the ballon (the part that's right near the cap).

This turned out to be a long post...

Id really just reccomend getting an airlock, its .90, and the rubber stopper to fit the jug would only be .50.
but....I know where your coming from. my first ever "brew" was a nasty concoction made of lemons in water with sugar added. I also used the balloon method on this, in a gallon milk jug. I just put the balloon over the top and poked 5-10 small holes with a pin, and when the balloon deflated it was done...and gross.

Take the cap completely off. Stretch the balloon over the mouth of the jug. When it inflates take a pin and poke 5-6 holes in the top of the balloon.

Back