Cider smells off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaugh

Reaction score
I made a batch of cider about a month ago and now that it is clearing, it still smells odd...maybe a hint of sulfur. When you taste it you get no hint at all of this. What could be wrong? Will it likely go away? Thanks.

I sometimes get a little sulfur if the ferment temps are too high. Some yeasts kick out a lot of sulfur no matter what the temps (I'm lookin at you Wy2001). Usually it goes away with time. If you are kegging, you can scrub it out quickly by charging the keg and then let the pressure off. When the CO2 comes back out, it will scrub the sulfur smell with it. Then recharge the keg

If I am not kegging, what would you recommend? If I am carbonating with dry ice(inadvisable, I know, but I think I have it worked out) can I flush the smell by adding extra dry ice and letting most of the CO2 out before sealing it?

If you're not kegging, just let it set until the smell clears off on its own. There may be other ways to do it. Time and kegs are what have worked for me.

We just had a brutal heatwave here and tonight when racking off a batch of cider and cyser I noticed the sulphurous smell as well. The ferment went much fasted in the cyser than expected and I was wondering if the heat and speed of ferment resulted in the odor. The flavor was unaffected (although some aging is still necessary.) I recall as well that last years pressing produced a juice with the same odor and it went away after bottling and aging. Is it maybe from the cider or cyser being to young?

Thank you guys very much. This was my first batch using anything other than wine yeast, and now I am being told that the Nottingham I used is prone to sulfurous smells anyway. So I guess I will just wait and see.

For an update, I added a few small pieces of food grade dry ice to the cider under airlock. The C02 completely scrubbed the smell away. Then I let it sit for a few weeks and bottled.

Latest posts

Back