quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegchef

Reaction score
I have a fresh juice chianti that I purchased from a local produce company. I purchased it 2 years ago. Ive racked it 3 times over the first year and its been sitting in the carboy for the last year untouched. Tasted it, really good. My question is should I add any metabulsulfite to it? Every wine Ive made has had the favor of that powder after Ive bottled it and aged it. Up to 5 years now. I know that powder is supposed to stop any more fermentation so the corks don't pop out. I really wanna stop using this powder I can taste it in every wine. What does everyone think

How much have you added in the past?

I add 1/8tsp per 5 gallons at bottling. Read the instructions and ask questions at your brew shop, they should know the product they sell.

you can also add ascorbic acid to it as a natural preservative, if the wine is acidic the way it is i would not do this but if you think you get by with a bit more acid then that would be what i would do. leaving it without preservatives is rolling the dice...

Metabisulfite doesn't stop fermentation.

At the stage you are at in the process, it only acts as a bit of a preservative and an anti-oxidant. The anti-oxidant part is what you want.

like i said ascorbic acid is a natural anti oxidant but it can have an effect on flavor so make sure the wine is not too acidic before adding it.

Back