smack pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursling

Reaction score
I received my beer ingredients kit on Wednesday when i opened my package i noticed the yeast smack pack had been activated during shipment the pack was swollen and tight. I called midwest and they said they would ship me out a new packet. I put the smack pack in the fridge the pressure in the pack lessened it is not so rigid. What should i do with this yeast is it safe to use i would really like to brew today (Friday) could this yeast be used safely, or should i chuck it in the trash?

Thanks for your help.

When do you expect the new packet. If you think you'll get it tomorrow I'd go ahead and brew, then pitch your yeast tomorrow. I've done that before and had no problems. Just make sure your ferm vessel is properly sanitized and you've got an airlock on there and you should be fine.

Yep, depends on how fast they'll ship it to you. If you don't think it'll arrive tomorrow, pitch with what you have now.

The nutrient pack probably popped in transport. I see no reason not to use it. I would say make a starter but since you plan on using it today that's not an option. Basically what I'm saying is you don't have to throw it away.

Same thing happened to me! I called got the run around from them and will never in my life do biz with them again! I got pissed and threw it away! I swear they packed it activated bc box wasnt even dented! I hope you have better luck then i did. Oh and watch credit card on another order i made they charged me and didnt ship! Took two weeks to get them off their asses! They want your money they just dont wanna work! @#$$%%&&&&&&**---+++())+-*&%%##@@$%&*()!!!!!!!!!! profanity!!!!!!

Well homebrewer outpost are nice tell you when order is recieved tracking numbers and are nice. Midwest doesnt do any of that....good customer service so far for me. Give em a call. I think webpage is homebrewers.com

Same thing happened to me! I called got the run around from them and will never in my life do biz with them again! I got pissed and threw it away! I swear they packed it activated bc box wasnt even dented! I hope you have better luck then i did. Oh and watch credit card on another order i made they charged me and didnt ship! Took two weeks to get them off their asses! They want your money they just dont wanna work! @#$$%%&&&&&&**---+++())+-*&%%##@@$%&*()!!!!!!!!!! profanity!!!!!!
Just remember, you're dealing with humans, and it helps to have people skills. If I ran a business, and someone called and said "My $&%*^& smack pack arrived swollen, you @%$#s must have packed it wrong, send me another!", I don't think I'd want to do business with them either.

If the packet arrives swollen, that means the yeast is alive. Why is that a problem? Sheesh. Stick it in the fridge, and use it, it's fine.

Just remember, you're dealing with humans, and it helps to have people skills. If I ran a business, and someone called and said "My $&%*^& smack pack arrived swollen, you @%$#s must have packed it wrong, send me another!", I don't think I'd want to do business with them either.

If the packet arrives swollen, that means the yeast is alive. Why is that a problem? Sheesh. Stick it in the fridge, and use it, it's fine.

Ha! Thats not what i said! I asked and they couldnt tell me anything if still viable! After 3 people on phone and same old run around i think not and yeast in 100 degree heat for 10 days? Uhhhhhhhh no......

The nutrient pack probably popped in transport. I see no reason not to use it. I would say make a starter but since you plan on using it today that's not an option. Basically what I'm saying is you don't have to throw it away.

This!

I tend to not use liquid yeast that's been shipped due to unknown shipping temperatures, but the pack being activated should not be a source of any issues, IMHO.

bobbrewedit said:
This!

I tend to not use liquid yeast that's been shipped due to unknown shipping temperatures, but the pack being activated should not be a source of any issues, IMHO.

How do you think it gets to the LHBS? Most vendors offer an ice pack option to ship with your yeast.

jeepinjeepin said:
How do you think it gets to the LHBS? Most vendors offer an ice pack option to ship with your yeast.

While I appreciate the "logical" approach, I've seen 3 batches have issues with yeast from mail orders and have never had a problem with LHBS yeast. Just my experience.

mtk6006 said:
Doesnt really matter when fedex body slams the box ice pack or not.

If they hit the box hard enough to pop the nutrient pouch it's because it actually made it under the tires of the truck.

jeepinjeepin said:
If they hit the box hard enough to pop the nutrient pouch it's because it actually made it under the tires of the truck.

Ha, nice!

Car tire huh? Didnt think it took a mack truck to activate yeast..... guess i beter start flipping tractor tires again or i never drink home brew again......get real dude!

mtk6006 said:
Car tire huh? Didnt think it took a mack truck to activate yeast..... guess i beter start flipping tractor tires again or i never drink home brew again......get real dude!

Have you used Wyeast before? Do me a favor. Put a pouch of it in a cardboard box, tape it up, and pop the nutrient pouch. When you pop it come back and let us know.

Have you used Wyeast before? Do me a favor. Put a pouch of it in a cardboard box, tape it up, and pop the nutrient pouch. When you pop it come back and let us know.
;)
I think that those who obsess about the pouch being inflated, or deflated, or whether they can find the nutrient pouch, is it popped or not - do yourself a favor and switch to White Labs yeasts. It will save you a lot of worry, and you'll still have beer.

Cheers!

frazier said:
;)
I think that those who obsess about the pouch being inflated, or deflated, or whether they can find the nutrient pouch, is it popped or not - do yourself a favor and switch to White Labs yeasts. It will save you a lot of worry, and you'll still have beer.

Cheers!

I use both and make starters either way. I'm not worried.

;)

Cheers!

I used a vial that was over a year past its expiration date that I found in my garage... threw it in a small starter and it took off. I stepped it up a bit and it made a good beer... I have people who give me their vials and smack packs all the time because the say its too old or the pouch is swelled and they think its dead, oh well, free yeast for me.

I pulled the yeast pack out of the fridge and started my brew day. I cooled the wort down to about 72 deg and pitched the yeast. The fridge is controlled with an atc controller set at 68 with the probe taped to the side. Its Wednesday right at 72hours since the pitch. I see about 12 bubbles a minute from the airlock, it is in a plastic bucket so I can not see the beer.

Should I leave it alone or pitch the second pack I received on Tuesday?

Thank you all for your help this is my first brew and I'm a nervous nilly.

Leave it alone, in the first 72 hours yeast will grow, and then start the fermentation. You're already through growth phase so just leave it be as it should have multiplied to a decent level. Plan another brew and use your other yeast package for that brew. Know that if you keep it in the fridge you'll be ok for a long time, but you may need to make a starter if you wait too long - which is really simple, look up the process on the forum for making a starter if you're planning to brew more than a month out with your additional pack.

My 2 cents:As a noob myself, I used dry yeasat for my first batch (Safale), and it turned out great, but its nice to have more options/variability at your disposal, so I've been using Wyeast for my next batches.
For the third, I did buy a Wyeast from my LHBS that was half-off (though still within the 'best used by' date). Maybe it was that particular strain of yeast (Irish Ale), my starter didn't take off like my other two had. It also was a different (darker) color. That was enough to freak me out and toss it. Don't know if it would have worked or not. So I drove to a different LHBS store and all they sold was White Labs. I was also a bit concerned since I hadn't used them before. But the immediate plus I can see is their vials are stronger and can't be damaged en route if you're ordering online. It wasn't as vigorous in the starter and the first two Wyeasts (I had bought American Ale V), but it went ape-sh*t in the fermenter and overflowed my blowoff setup once I pitched it. Still going strong now. I would definitely use White Labs again as well.
I would recommend both Wyeast and White Labs, in my limited experience. But the moral of the story here, I think, is always do a starter. That way, you have some idea of viability before brewing up all your $$$ malt extract. And I also plan to have some Safale dry in the fridge as a just-in-case.
On a related note, maybe someone more experienced could provide some insight on this question: when you are using Wyeast for a starter, what are the pros/cons of smacking earlier and letting it swell before making your starter vs. smacking just prior to pouring the yeast and nutrients directly into your starter?

Back