1/2 pkg Safale 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I think yeast is the most important and underrated part of what we put in our beer I would say it's better safe than sorry. I'd pitch it all and get a nice rocken, clean and quick fermentation. If you're really wanting to save money however I'd just start reusing yeast. That has been the single greatest money saver for me. Whether it's just pitching on some of the yeast cake, rinsing it, freezing it or culturing it on slants or plates you can save a ton of money and make great beer so long as you are clean and sanitary about what you are doing.

Because I think yeast is the most important and underrated part of what we put in our beer I would say it's better safe than sorry. I'd pitch it all and get a nice rocken, clean and quick fermentation. If you're really wanting to save money however I'd just start reusing yeast. That has been the single greatest money saver for me. Whether it's just pitching on some of the yeast cake, rinsing it, freezing it or culturing it on slants or plates you can save a ton of money and make great beer so long as you are clean and sanitary about what you are doing.

+1 on reusing. Huge money saver. At first I was intimidated by the process of washing/reusing yeast, but it's simple, and now I only buy yeast occasionally - only if I want to add a new strain to my lineup or if I'm getting past 5 or so generations. It will likely expand your brewing into new styles, and certainly into new flavors. The best part about it for me is that the cost savings are significant, so I can justify brewing much more often :mug:

Second. I'd just use the whole thing and rinse the yeast when done.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Waste not, want not

Thanks, I probably will just use the whole pkg, wash it and reuse. At 3-4 bucks a pop it's getting close to liquid yeast, I remember when you could buy Wyeast for $3.50!

Latest posts

Back