Steeping and size of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I am trying an IPA recipe I got off a website but none of the times or size of boil was listed. It seems for a 5 gallon batch a 2.5 gallon to 3 gallon boil to starts is about average. Is there a reason why this would not work?
Also, to steep the grains and extract the sugars, it only is calling for 6 oz of American crystal 20L, how long do I steep these for?

before I add the extracts should I add water to bring it back to 3 gal or can I go up to 4 gallons then bring to a boil before adding hops? Hop times were listed so at least I have that going for me :cross:

THen Top off to 5 gallons while cooling the wart and pitch the yeast?

This has been the proceedure for my previous brews and thought it would be similar for this one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The 2 batches Ive done have been boiling 3 gallons, but I think most people would tell you a full boil of 5 gals is best if you have a vessel that big.
Then I would top it off with the other 2 gals ( and you may want to do a little more to get your full 5 gals, since you prolly lost some during the boil) to cool it down. I just put a couple of gallons in the freezer a little before hand to get them nice and cold to help with the cool down process.
More experienced people feel free to chime in though, Im still pretty new at this myself.

Steeping can be done for 30 minutes or so.

3 gallons is good to use for a partial boil. I've used between 2 and 3. Full boil is definitely is a better way to go if you can. If not, use a few quarts of water to steep in, top off to 3 gallons for your boil and then top off to 5 gallons for fermenting.

You get better hops utilization when doing a full boil but full boils need about a 7 gallon or more kettle and a chiller does make it easier.

To me, if you have the ability to boil full batches then I would do it. It is a little easier in that you do not have to top off your batch and you need less hops.

Cooling more liquid can be a challenge but a simple copper immersion chiller works wonders and they are pretty easy to make if you are so inclined!

Back