6th batch, maybe wasted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimseven

Reaction score
Hello, let me just start by saying that I love this site. I get most of my information from it, so thankyou!
I brewed my 5th and 6th batches last night (extract), but I tried something different on the 6th batch, an IPA. Instead of following the hop schedule the usual way, I boiled the first set for 60 mins. The second drop in was 30 mins, and the last was ten mins., making a total of an hour and forty minutes. The schedule only called for an hour, but I wanted to experiment, What kind of problems should I expect out of the final product?

None really. If you were following a recipe for an hour boil, yours will not be as originally intended. If the recipe was for an hour boil did you end up with the full volume? If not your beer will have a higher OG than intended. This will not do anything more than changing the flavor and possibly increasing the alcohol level.

On another note if a recipe calls for hop additions at 60, 30 and 10 minutes that would be the time left in the 60 minute boil. So the 60 minutes is put in at the start of the timer. The 30 minute addition is at 1/2 hour and the 10 minute is at 50 minutes after the beginning of the boil. Flame out at 60 minutes.

Your beer is ruined. PM for a government approved dump site and send it to me... er them... and it will be disposed of properly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ok, sounds like it isn't too big a deal. I didn't end up with the full volume. I had to add water slowly to the boil, being careful not t lose the rolling boil. Thanks!

Back