Regulator tops out at 20PSI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
Hi folks, I recently received a keg kit from Keg Connection. The regulator I received tops out at 20PSI. I've tried tightening the pressure screw and it is at the point where it will no longer budge.

Is this normal? Or is there anything I might be doing wrong?

Are you saying that you can't get the reg to reduce pressure below 20PSI or just that the guage maxes out at 20?

If the former, bleed the lines or burp the keg. You'll get a constant head pressure until the CO2 is dissolved in the beer then it will creep down. Lest the reg is trash.

If the latter, no sweat. 20psi is only good for Belgians or warm temp kegging anyway. And Soda.

The lower reading guages are easier to see anyway.

The KegConnection regs have a nut on the adjustment screw...make sure that nut is as far from the reg as possible, so the screw can screw in as much as possible....My regs can hit 60 PSI, and I prefer at least 30, if not 40, for sealing kegs, (20 OFTEN doesn't seal up kegs, so I don't agree with the above postings saying "no sweat").

Also, do you have gas? If your CO2 is empty, 20 PSI may be all that's left in the tank...

Finally, if these two things don't check out, (also, shut off the gas to the keg, then try again to see if you can go higher than 20. If you have a leak in your keg or if the keg isn't fully pressurized, the reg may not go higher than 20....)...but if these things don't check out, give KegConnections a call, (apparently they respond faster to calls than emails), and I betcha they make good with you.

Meh. I have never had to hit a keg with higher pressuire to seal it. In fact, I usually natural carb kegs before I put them on the gas.

YMMV.

I just got a keg kit from them within the last month and I had the same problem.I called and they sent me a new regulater .in the time it took to get it in the mail I figured out the problem.I noticed the paper in the guages were bent not alowing the needle past a certain point.when the new regulater came in the mail I just floped them. So you might want to check that.it might not be the regulater just the guages.

Definitely not working correctly, be it the gauges or the regulator. Get a replacement.

Back