Keg Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdonkeybeer

Reaction score
I understand the methods in force carbonating a keg, but if I pressurize the thing with CO2 and then close the valves and let it sit... Can I carbonate that way? What pressure would I need to do so? Temperature would obviously be a factor? I am just wondering what my options are. I just started kegging and don't wanna mess anything up.

I understand the methods in force carbonating a keg, but if I pressurize the thing with CO2 and then close the valves and let it sit... Can I carbonate that way? What pressure would I need to do so? Temperature would obviously be a factor? I am just wondering what my options are. I just started kegging and don't wanna mess anything up.

Yes, that's exactly the way to do it.

If you have the keg in the fridge, generally 12 psi works to carbonate. At room temperature (say, 68 degrees), 30 psi would be about right.

Here's the link to temperature/pressure: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I was under the impression that I need to leave the valves open and the gas on it to achieve "force" carbonation.

If I can just pressurize the keg and the unhook it.... My life just got easier.

swampdonkeybeer said:
I was under the impression that I need to leave the valves open and the gas on it to achieve "force" carbonation.

It takes two weeks under serving pressure to carb, you can't just pressure it up and disconnect if that is what you're saying.

Oh, I thought you meant on the gas. Without gas, it won't carb up. If you unhook the gas, it just won't carbonate.

I meant pressurizing the keg to a set PSI and then unhooking it. I guess I will need to keep the thing hooked up. I just have a new system and didn't want to leave all the valves open all night for fear of a small leak. No need to risk it if I could pressurize a keg an the just unhook it.

Latest posts

Back