First Stage of Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacktib

Reaction score
I have put on a kit and have noticed a large amount of sediment or something on top of the wine, it is day 3. The red beside it is bubbling as normal and maybe this white wine is doing fine. Is it normal to have such an yeasty smelling sediment ontop? I'm definetly not going to want to suck this stuff over when it comes time. Is this stuff normal?

I have put on a kit and have noticed a large amount of sediment or something on top of the wine, it is day 3. The red beside it is bubbling as normal and maybe this white wine is doing fine. Is it normal to have such an yeasty smelling sediment ontop? I'm definetly not going to want to suck this stuff over when it comes time. Is this stuff normal?

Sometimes you get a yeasty looking top, sometimes it's more fruity looking. It's ok, just follow the kit directions and it'll be fine. When it falls to the bottom, it'll compact down and you won't siphon it over to secondary.

By definition, sediment settles, so it wouldn't be on top of your wine. It's probably just foam.

Yeast makes CO2, thats why it bubbles. If you've got stuff in your batch that'll hold air, like fruit pectin, you'll see a head to it. Imagine blowing bubbles in apple cider versus blowing bubbles in juice.

I mean, no, no it's all ruined and it will make you sick if you drink it.. PM me your address and I'll be by in six weeks with my racking cane and a case of bottles to help you properly dispose of it :)

Back