German Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MW66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
2565XL pack
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Very clean with that characteristic kolsch yeast twang.
10.0 lbs. Pilsner malt
1.0 lb. Wheat malt
0.5 lb. Munich Dark

1.0 ounce Perle for 60 minutes
0.50 ounces Tettnanger for 10 minutes
0.50 ounces Tettnanger for 5 minutes

My system leaves 1.5 gallons in the kettle below my tube which is fine by me since it is mostly trub, hops, and hot break. Therefore, I start with 7.5 gallons, boil down to 6.5 gallons, then decant 5.0 gallons into my carboy.

I brought 3.5 gallons of water up to 165F and drained into my mash tun cooler. I let it stabilize at 163F and then stirred in the grain. This brings my mash to 149F. Let sit for 30 minutes and stir once. Let sit for another 30 minutes. I double batch sparge. This first volume of water is 3.0 gallons at 180F. The second volume is 2.5 gallons at 190F. This last sparge water finally brings my mash up to 170F. My cooler/mash tun dead space is 0.35 gallons and my grain absorption was 0.75 gallons. After boiling for 60 minutes, I use an immersion chiller to get it close to 60F as possible. I had to use a prechiller in an ice bath. Next, I stir to create a whirlpool and it sit about 15 minutes. Finally, drain off wort and pitch yeast. I let mine sit for 14 days keeping it close to 63F. Then, I transferred to my keg and carbonated at 12 psi. Outstanding! In my 15+ of brewing, this last kolsch I made in June 2012 is probably in my top 3 beers I've brewed. Enjoy. :mug:

Back