DME for Starter Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
I got to be doing something wrong when weighing out the DME. This stuff makes a huge mess and sticks to everything. I weigh it out in a coffee filter which it sticks to like glue. The I use a paper funnel to get the DME in the flask. Which it also sticks to. I figure I lose about 5 grams just to it sticking to everything on its way in to the flask.

I assume it is due to the humidity, but there has to be another way. How do you do it without out making a sticky mess?

DME absorbs moisture very well.

Weigh your DME into a margarine tub or glass, something that you can dip into the wort. Swirl the liquid and pour into the pot or flask and repeat until clean. If you need a funnel use a plastic one.

Forget the paper.

Try stirring the dme into a saucepan before you boil. Once the boil is over then just funnel it into your flask. Much easier that way.

You can put the flask on your scale, zero it out (tare button) and add DME until it reads correct amount.

These are all great ideas that I cant believe I didn't think of. I use a triple beam so there is no tare but I think I can handle the math. Thanks everyone.

Back