Japan bound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow70cooper

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well after being back in the staes for about 4 years, we just got the word that we are headed to Japan. I was just wondering if anyone had heard or knows of somplace that I can still get supplies sent to me over there. It would be a shame not to brew for 3 years or so.

Thank you all

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/822092

Information is old, but ther are some links to shops there in Japan. If you can get bottle conditioned beer over there, then you could get yeast from some of those. Will you have a normal or military address?

I woul call someone like Forrest at Austin to see if he could do it.

Australia and New Zealand will be a good choice for supplies also. THere are a couple of guys n here from over there.

What base? I was at Kadena for 2 years!

:rolleyes:Yeah, how was the huge golf course and PX shopping center?... or the wonderful restaurant-like chowhall with salad dressing actually in the bottles instead of stainless steel tubs?

(Sorry, I had to rant there... I was on little-old Futenma in the Marines eating bag-nasties for my midnight lunch on night-crew!):mug:

Hey thanx, I didn't think about Australia or New Zealand. I hope that will work. We are headed to Kadena and at least it will be warmer. Tanks again I guess I have a bit of research to do.

Man, ain't this funny, just last night I was drinking from the Helios Craft Beer glasses I got when I was stationed at Camp Schwab back in '96. Only pull those down every once in a while. There's at least one brew-pub on Okinawa called Helios that was a fun visit when I was there. Hope it's still there. Should be able to find it on line.

(Menschmaschine - When it comes to po-dunk little camps on Okinawa - Schwab over Futema for the win!!)

:rolleyes:Yeah, how was the huge golf course and PX shopping center?... or the wonderful restaurant-like chowhall with salad dressing actually in the bottles instead of stainless steel tubs?

(Sorry, I had to rant there... I was on little-old Futenma in the Marines eating bag-nasties for my midnight lunch on night-crew!):mug:

Dude, I ate the box of nasties almost every day at work. I work on the flight line, and Kadena is the 2nd busiest base for us. So I know what your talking about.

Oh and the chow hall was ok, I personally hated it because at the end of my tour, you had to be in uniform to be able to take it to go, other wise you would have to eat there. So I would j ust get in uniform, and go to the chow hall so I could take it to go. LOL

Man, ain't this funny, just last night I was drinking from the Helios Craft Beer glasses I got when I was stationed at Camp Schwab back in '96. Only pull those down every once in a while. There's at least one brew-pub on Okinawa called Helios that was a fun visit when I was there. Hope it's still there. Should be able to find it on line.

(Menschmaschine - When it comes to po-dunk little camps on Okinawa - Schwab over Futema for the win!!)

Speaking of beer glasses, I have an Orion Beer mug that I got from my favorite Kareoke bar. I went there so much that the Mama-son gave it to me.

IMG_1476_Medium_.JPG

Yeah, it's so small I forgot about it!

Of all the bases on Okinawa, Kadena is the best to be stationed.

Orion beer... that brings back memories. I remember a little restaurant at the bottom of the hill from Futenma called "My House" or something. I used to go there and get Teriyaki Chicken and a big bottle of Orion!

The craziest thing is, I briefly dated a Japanese girl while there (1994)... she emailed me last year!... found me on the internet and had moved to the states. Small world.

Back