swing top bottle???????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orleans

Reaction score
Hey, Haven't been here for a while. Got a swing top ??? Got some swing tops and they worked fine, the first time. I didn't change the gaskets for the second use and about 1/2 didn't seal well- flat beer! yuk! Just added a couple of Cooper tabs, changed the gaskets and the beer was fine after re-conditioning. Later I read somewhere that the problem was the orginal gaskets. They are a different material than the replacement gaskets I purchased. Question is- how many times can one re-use the rubber gaskets? I hate changing the gaskets EVERY time if it is not needed. Anyone? thanks, jm fermenter- MoreBeer Holiday Ale (did this one last year and it was a big hit)--on deck-MB English Pale--MB American Ale (this is a really good beer, my everyday go-to beer) and MB American Amber

I replace the gasket whenever I think its necessary. I remove the gasket when I am sanitizing the bottles and if the gasket coming off feels flimsy or the center hole is stretched out, I replace. Thats about how scientific I am anyway.

^^^Been using swing-tops for years. I check them when I sanitize and swap out as ncessary. Never really counted how many times I reuse as I change as necessary after I inspect them.

Cheers!

When empty, I pull the gasket off rinse and store. Remove the wire rinse and store. Rinse the bottle and store. Sanitize and inspect before reuse. The rubber gaskets have "memory" and will conform to the shape of the porcelain top adding to the risk of a poor fit.

Back