Questions Re: Making a Starter for Yeast Bank from Smack Pack or Vial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I recently purchased the required equipment to start a frozen yeast bank per this post. Before I got started I wanted to clarify a few points to make sure I am going down the right path.

1) Smack the yeast pack (if required)
2) Put 6oz of Light DME in flask and 0.2g Wyeast Nutrient, top with water to 2L
3) Bring to a boil for 10 min, cool to 68F
4) Pitch Yeast, top with foil, and place on Stir plate
5) Let ferment fully (~ 3 days)
6) Cold Crash in Fridge for 24 hrs
7) Follow steps 2 through 7 of linked Wiki post.

Also is Glycerin USP (sold as skin protectant) the same as Glycerine described in the link?

Any comments, questions, or answers are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

I would make it 48 hours in the fridge rather than 24, but I don't know how much of a difference that makes. Otherwise, that's a pretty standard starter practice. Looks fine. Glycerin USP is the same as glycerine.

THis method worked like a champ. i banked 6 vials of yeast as descirbed, and put the rest into another 2L starter and pitched it 48 hrs later. Woohoo, cheaper yeast!

I recently purchased the required equipment to start a frozen yeast bank per this post. Before I got started I wanted to clarify a few points to make sure I am going down the right path.

Atl300zx, glade I found your post; just what I was looking for!

I have a couple Q’s:

How did you boil your flask? I just did mine, following your recipe (thanks btw) in a 4 gallon pot filled with water + (2000ml flask + ingredients) = (double boiler)...was afraid to break my pyrex flask ls. Not sure the wort actually boiled… too much steam to tell. But I capped it with foil and let it boil for over 20 min.

What temp did you ferment? I’m also following the path on freezing yeast… doing white labs hefeweizen. I’m using 16ml vials + Glycerin USP…it’s that 0.5% skin protectant that worries me.

Thanks for your post, but most importantly, thanks for your update! Cheers!:mug:

I boil in my flask on a gas stove. I then move it to a trivet for 4-5 minutes before putting it in an water bath that i add ice to.

I fermented it at room temp...68-72 ish. Temperature for building up a started isnt that big of a concern as long as it isnt too extreme (like below 65 your yeast will reproduce slowly and above 80 and it might go too quickly). I havent had any issues with the USP, so dont worry about it.

Back