First Belgian Dubbel Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
I mixed up a belgian dubbel last Sunday. It's only my second beer and my first isn't even bottled yet. Fermentation started within 12 hours and was quite vigorous. But after 3 days it began to slow down drastically and by the end of the 4th it had completely stopped. I worry that it got too cold as it was down to 65 degrees for a while.

I measured the gravity at the end of the 4th and it's 1.015, down from a OG of 1.071 (OG should have been a little higher but I forgot 6oz of DME). I kind of modified the recipe heavily so I'm not sure what the FG is supposed to be but 1.015 sounds about right as it gives about the ABV I was looking for. Will it continue to drop at all in the secondary or after bottling?

Is it possible it's done with primary already? I've been hearing that belgian ale yeasts work slowly (I used two packs of wyeast 1214) but this was fast!

Since my secondary is going to be cold (30-35 degrees), I guess I'll wait a couple days before racking it just in case it's not finished (it's day number 5 now).

Also, I tasted the sample I took to measure the gravity yesterday. What should a beer taste like at this stage. All the sugar from when I tasted the wort is gone. The malt is there as some subtle flavors, but it's kind of watery. It kind of tastes like flat and weak chimay red (and I'm not a fan of chimay red, lol). I assume conditioning and carbonation will help develop it some body (I realize it's got a long way to go and probably won't be 5-6 weeks until I'll try a bottle). I'm interested in any advice anyone might have.

You have about 78% attenuation, which is on the dry side and I believe within the normal range of this yeast. It's likely finished, but if you want to be sure then you can check it again in 3 days. The taste you describe seems pretty normal to me. Higher alcohol brews tend to take longer to condition and I'm sure the taste will mellow with time.

Personally, I wouldn't rack to a secondary. I would just bottle it then let it condition over time.

Latest posts

Back