How Can I Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungGuns20

Reaction score
I like beers like Heineken light, Bud Light, etc. how do i calculate the formulas to come up with these recipes?

I'm a rookie at this stuff and any help would be appreciated..... Less than 3 weeks until my first batch is complete!!! wooweee that's why Im searching to make my second batch now

Buy a good clone book, OR go to some of the online homebrew stores and order one of thier clones... then when you get it in the mail, brew it, see if you like it, and keep the recipe so that you can recreate it...

You're asking one of the many questions that new brewers often have on their mind. The problem is you are also asking about one of the most difficult styles of beer to make. Lagers can be more difficult that ales due to the temperature requirements and the time it takes to make them. Also, light lagers will make any defects with the beer extremely evident.

My advice is to stick to the ales for right now and get a few under your belt so that you get the process down. After you feel comfortable with that, try to do some lagers. You can try to make some lighter ales. They will be close, but not exactly the same. Do some searches for Cream Ale or Blonde Ale and see if you see some recipes that seem reasonable.

Ditto on what Brewsmith said. Sure, you may eventually make lagers, and pretty darn good ones, too, but trying to make beers like Heineken yourself is probably a big waste of time, money and energy. Would you try to make Wonder Bread yourself? Heck no. When you make homemade bread, you want it to taste homemade. Not only is there probably no way you could ever make Wonder Bread at home, but even if you could, why would you. Heineken can make Heineken way better than any of us ever could.

Now, that having been said, you certainly can make something in the style of Heineken that may even turn out to be much better than Heineken. It just won't be Heineken.

My post was actually a bit of a joke, perhaps not effective. I was suggesting that it's one way to make some malt water and then lager it to remove even more character.

If you like commercial brews, buy and drink them. If you want to experiment, brew.

Just go buy the cheapest extract lager kit available and use the cheapest ingredients. It may not taste exactly the same but it'll be in the same ball park, it'll have the same quality and it'll probably cost you around the same as buying the commercial.

I'm afraid homebrewing or at least the stuff most of this forum's user do is for people who like "quality" beer rather than BMC commercial swill.

Yes I know......I'm an EAC.

If you want to take it up a notch there is the whole panty and sock thing.

Brewpilot said:
Buy a good clone book, OR go to some of the online homebrew stores and order one of thier clones... then when you get it in the mail, brew it, see if you like it, and keep the recipe so that you can recreate it...

I can't buy clone kits where I live (shipping is $50!!!) but I was wondering - when you purchase a clone kit do they tell you what ingredients/weights are in it? Or do all the grains just come together in one big bag?

Dang, they advertise 5.99 shipping, but I did just check and it is 40 shipping for you from them...

And from my experience, (some kits from morebeer.com) they didnt tell you on their site the weights of things, except the malt, but the recipe came with a list of what all the different grains were and their weights, and they also all came mixed together in one bag.

These guys are right. It is hard to made light-style lagers. To most homebrewers, it is also a self-defeating project. However, I did this recipe a ways back for some light-beer drinking friends and it worked out great. It is light, does not require lagering and should be cheap for you to buy the ingredients for. See post below:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=198431&postcount=3

Back