Converting a Leffe Blond clone from all grain to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
I'm really wanting to do Revvy's Leffe Blonde clone, but his is all grain, and I'm just not there yet.

I downloaded BeerSmith and played with the recipe a bit. The extract version it came up with has a slightly lower OG and FG, but the ABV remains the same. The IBU rating is identical, and the SRM is within .2 of the all grain version.

However, the program tells me that I need to use almost nothing but extract. It took approximately twelve pounds of grain and converted it to extract, with only 3.6 ounces of crystal malt - no biscuit, no munich, no melanoiden. Heck, the orignal recipe didn't even include the crystal that BeerSmith calls for!

Does this make sense to those who know something about conversions? I'm thinking that while all of the "stats" might be correct, this beer would be a real "Plain Jane" next to the AG version.

Should I perhaps look at keeping the original speciality grains (which still only total about a pound and a half) and using the extract in place of the base pilsner malt?

Any input is much appreciate by this complete rookie.

Thanks!

Back