What to do with expired Pilsner malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHdriver

Reaction score
I have a can of Muntons pilsner malt extract kit that's expired by just over year. I did a search and I read it could lead to anything from stale tastes, to off flavours to undrinkable. So far I've only brews liquid malt extract cans with no variations or creativity. I'm looking for some ideas of what I can add, boil or secondary ferment into it that's not too complicated. I'm generally a fan of darks and stouts so that's probably why this can wasn't used sooner.
I know the yeast package may be an issue and I should check it first.

Any ideas?
Thanks

You could get some twang from it being old. That said, if you want to brew with it anyway I would choose something dark so any off flavors would be masked some. Those flavors would shine right through a really light beer like a Pilsner. Maybe a porter or stout and add the necessary dark steeping grains to darken it.

Definitely get some new yeast, no sense in using old stuff when its relatively cheap.

Back