Kriek dregs for Three Philosophers inspired quad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
I'm working on a Belgian quad inspired by Three Philosophers recipe in Brew Like a Monk. I'm a bit stuck on the kriek addition... Mostly that it seems a the more common brands may be pasteurized. I found a bottle of Liefmans Cuvée Brut, which appears to have yeast gunk in the bottom of the bottle.

1) does anyone know if this is viable? Rumor has it liefmans flash pasteurized their lambics.
2) are there any other krieks worth trying?
3) will I have to be worried about Lambic bugs infecting subsequent batches of unsoured beer?

Thanks!

I don't have my BLAM on hand, so forgive me if this is ignorant in light of the book, but wouldn't you want the kriek addition to be pasteurized? My understanding is that 3P has the kriek added for a hint of flavor but not to kick off a complete souring of the beer, which is what I imagine would happen if live lambic cultures were added.

BTW my understanding is that Lindeman's is the brand of kriek used by Ommegang, although I don't have a cite for that. I'm sure any reputable brand would be fine though.

I don't have my BLAM on hand, so forgive me if this is ignorant in light of the book, but wouldn't you want the kriek addition to be pasteurized? My understanding is that 3P has the kriek added for a hint of flavor but not to kick off a complete souring of the beer, which is what I imagine would happen if live lambic cultures were added.

BTW my understanding is that Lindeman's is the brand of kriek used by Ommegang, although I don't have a cite for that. I'm sure any reputable brand would be fine though.

Perhaps it is just for the flavor... Which would make sense. I checked out a bottle of Boon at a local bottle shop and it was definitely filtered, likely pasteurized. The only details they really gave was that the first tried Boon Kriek, but production is using Lindeman's.

So... I have read plenty of older HBT threads on the recipe or which kriek to use but didn't really see any good answers.

I'll give your suggestion a try with a pasteurized kriek first, but I think I might try souring a gallon or two to see how it turns out.

Thanks!

Back