Grinding apples necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyA

Reaction score
Alright, all my apples have been picked and frozen as of today. I plan on renting a cider press from my local home brew store when the temps start cooling down (to ferment in a cooler environment). My question is, do I have to mulch up the apples before putting them into the press, or will the cell walls being punctured by freezing the apples soften them up enough to just through in the press whole or halved?

CodyA said:
Alright, all my apples have been picked and frozen as of today. I plan on renting a cider press from my local home brew store when the temps start cooling down (to ferment in a cooler environment). My question is, do I have to mulch up the apples before putting them into the press, or will the cell walls being punctured by freezing the apples soften them up enough to just through in the press whole or halved?

You need to grind them

I don't grind mine. Once they are frozen and thawed, they turn into pulp that is pretty easy to squeeze out. But I ferment them first, then squeeze. They really are pretty "smooshy" by then.

I don't have a crusher or a press, so I do plenty of smashing and squeezing!

Back