Habanero brew suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efkrug

Reaction score
I'm going to spice up a chocolate stout extract/steeping grains recipe with habanero. Going for some flavor, some heat in the background behind the chocolate without overdoing the spice. I was thinking I would slice and roast, possibly a vodka soak, put some in the last 15min of the boil and then test out a few different quantities in the secondary. Any Habanero handling/use suggestions?

I smoked some habeneros and add about a sixth of a pepper to bottles of a porter, let age for a year and was still scorching hot. So my advice is use very very little, or none at all.

Dry peppering works best for ME. Use only the flesh, no seeds. Roast or grill if desired? I put 7 grams into a 5 gallon batch post fermentation. I take a sample from the carboy twice a day; usually 1.5 to 2 days is sufficient for me (NOT searing). I like mine to have a little heat on the back end. For me, the heat from a Habanero is more complex than the heat from a Serrano or Jalapeno.

Back