2nd Krausen? the hell.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamebow

Reaction score
this is the first time i've done the following:

a) secondary fermentation (in a better bottle carboy).

b) dry hopping.

i put the hop pellets in a muslin bag and threw them in the carboy. siphoned in the beer. looks good. smells great.

three hours later there's another krausen. not as big as the first one in the primary, but it's there.

is this normal or did i fug something up? also, is this sack o' hops just gonna float there or will it eventually sink?

thanks in advance,

jamebow
boognana.gif

Just a guess. You ma have given the yeast a bit of a stir and some extra oxygen that got them reactivated. I think I remember reading that adding oxygen after the initial fermentation was not necasseraily a good thing as yeast are aerobic and anaerobic. Sorry I can't help with the dry hop question.

Was the gravity stable before racking?

i don't know. i'm attempting to subscribe to the "hydrometers only make you worry" school of thought. but all of this not worrying is starting to worry me.

the bubbling had subsided when i racked. it had been in the primary for a week.

i'm wondering if a tertiary fermentation might be in order?

On the Hydrometer: I take an initial reading just to know what I'm dealing with then subsequent readings are just to see if it's "done".

I have had the same thing with a dry hop situation, don't worry as they say and just wait it out, it will be fine........

Latest posts

Back