How likely is an infection to occur at high krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
Last night I stumbled in to my brew room after waking up in the middle of the night to let the dog out and noticed I had krausen flowing out of my airlock on day 2 of fermentation. In my sleepy haze I grabbed the nearest tube around and fitted a blowoff. This morning I realized that the tube that I had attached unsanitized was the same I use for draining the wort from my mash tun. I believe unboiled grains can easily cause a lacto infection, and I'm guessing simply rinsing the tube with hot water after use on brew day was not enough to clear out any nasties. I may be being paranoid here, but is it difficult to infect a beer at high krausen due to the yeast activity or is it really no different than after fermentation has slowed down? Thanks!

Since you rinsed it with hot water,I think you're ok. Besides,even at high krausen,co2 is being produced,as is alcohol. You should be fine,since it dumping out,not in.

I wouldn't worry. Like unionrdr said, the fermenting beer is pushing stuff out. I'd remove it sanitize it when you get home, but I wouldn't worry.

in my experience, its WAY harder to actually infect your beer than many people make it out to be

But when does beer get infected? after boiling, cooling, after fementation?

I had a incident with cooling wort (wort...kid...bath water....)so a little cold bath water fell in the cooling wort? pitched slurry and fermentation started very soon after......

You're probably fine, at high krausen, the yeast will be pushing out quite a bit of CO2. I would, however, replace the blow off tube with a sanitized tube when you get a chance.

Back